PDA

View Full Version : Road Feeder

Stins
06-22-2007, 07:49 PM
I have been wanting a road feeder for a while and did not want to spend $200 on one so I began working on making my own. The total project cost me probably $75-85. It will hold roughly 75-80# corn. I do need to modify how it mounts to the 2" reciever some so I dont have to use the ratchet strap to help stabalize it on rough roads, but other than that it works great!

bm22
06-22-2007, 10:29 PM
That is nice !!! How do you keep from dropping corn while just driving around, do you have a slide or something. do you have a picture.
again great job.
bm22

Stins
06-22-2007, 11:19 PM
No the lower sping unit is a cheaper version I got it just has a bowl type plate but no gate or valve or anything giving you a positive stop. However, we had it up in Leakey and the only time we lost corn was when we actual banged the feeder bottom on rocks. On my S. Tx lease I doubt it will loose any corn, or not enough to worry about.

If you want you can by the higher dollar lower unit for around $60 and its plate moves up and down to prevent this.

bm22
06-22-2007, 11:31 PM
if you are going to bring it up to the lease i could get a better look then, it looks strong and should last a long time. the one mike has now is great but you have to get off the 4 wheeler to start trickling the corn and get off to stop it, but it is a good feeder.

brandon

birkdog
06-22-2007, 11:55 PM
Brandon,

Travis has it working so that all we have to do is press a button from inside the heated/air conditioned Jeep and it will start slinging golden nuggets.

Travis, when are you going to make yourself one? :)

bm22
06-23-2007, 12:04 AM
i have the square tubing to build one all i need is the sheet metal, i just can't decide how i open the spout. i was thinking about a spring door using an old bicycle brake but i am not sure i could get enough travel. mine will be on the back of a 4 wheeler but a a/c jeeps sounds pretty nice.

you'll should start corning roads, the darn hogs are everywhere.

Stins
06-23-2007, 12:11 AM
Sorry Brandon I didnt know your handle. When Matt and I arent using it you guys are more than welcome to borrow it.

When you are going back down? Did you see how much rain it got the past couple days? Were screwed until we can get Matt's jeep down there because our vehicles are both 2WD.

bm22
06-23-2007, 12:20 AM
right now i am going to try to go down next tuesday or wednesday, i have alittle more work to do on my 2 boxes and need to move mikes camera and check some things for him. but i am going to try real hard to stick a pig.

where are you getting your rainfall amount from? i check weather.com but they are very unreliable. we have good roads when it is dry but they get bad real quick. do you'll have a 4 wheeler. luckly i have a 4x4 and haven't got stuck yet, knock on wood.

birkdog
06-23-2007, 12:23 AM
Brandon, this is the website that we use as does Mike.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/monthly/USTX1360?from=search

It's been pretty good, but it did miss one day when they got 8 inches

Is this what you use?

bm22
06-23-2007, 12:30 AM
yea , if you look they take there weather from cotulla, they are the most accurate i have seen but they still mis quite alot. i guess they are no worse then the weatherman here in houston. and i use google earth for my satilite images. they are from 2005, if you'll find some images of the lease post june-july 06 let me know they should have the new roads on them.