Dog blind for duck hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog blind for duck hunting

I originally posted this on the campfire, and am reposting here in D-I-Y projects where it belongs.

What's this got to do with bowhunting or Texas? The dog I'm building this to hunt with was 'our own' Wildman's dog's pup which he had on TBH before the crash of 2006. My good friend and hunting buddy out here (there's at least one other hunter in CA) is training the chocolate lab, and I said I'd build the stand for him.

We hunt public refuges in the central valley (Pacific flyway), and most of the time we don't get a blind, so we free-roam and hunker down in the tulies on a pond, put out our decoys, and hunt in calf-to-thigh deep water.

I've seen other projects posted on TBH, here's mine.

Started out with a cart meant for moving boat trailers around, removed the ball, and welded a 2 by 3 foot frame with rails around the sides.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TBH1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	24716865

Then I got a piece of 2 by 3 foot 3 inch foam with aluminum laminated on both sides from a local manufacturer of sheds and prefab buildings. A trip to Home Depot and the project started to take shape. I painted the surface with truckbed liner with added non-slip grit they sell for stairs.

Name:	TBH2.jpg
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	24716866

Dave called and said "don't forget to make it with some sort of cover to hide the dog", so I started on a cover piece. Two cans of Krylon camo paint (khaki and olive drab) were all I needed. The camo pattern matches everything I have camo'd, including my Mossberg 500 'swamp gun'.

Name:	TBH3.jpg
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	24716867

After the glue was dry, I decided to see if a 70 pound dog would fit. Our golden does, she's useless for waterfowl hunting but a great family pet.

Name:	TBH4.jpg
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	24716868

Which I then covered with camo netting from the local Army Navy store.

Legs are 30 inches long, and I cut them in half and pinned them together with a piece of PVC inside so we can adjust for deep or shallow water. Waders and blind bag are drying in the CA sun, broadhead target still in the garage after the elk hunt.

Name:	TBH5.jpg
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	24716869

Since I took these pictures, I've used the dog stand and made a couple of improvements. The most important was I took pieces of coat hanger wire, bent them into U shapes and put Gorilla glue on the straight ends. 4 went evently spaced into each side, now there is a loop to take tulies and catails from the marshes and have them attached upright to further camo the blind.

In the shake-down hunt #1, I found it floated well, and I tied a bungie cord to the PCV to pull it in the marsh. It floated well enough i could but my gear bag on it as well. Pulling it when the water was less than 6 inches deep was impossible since the legs extend down 6 inches, which I'd do differently if I built a second one. Once the water got over 6 inches deep it floated and pulled really well.

Sweet!

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

That's just plum slick!

Comment

After it's maiden cruise, I learned that balancing the front/ rear weight of the decoy bag, blind bag, guns and waiders is the key to using it. Otherwise the handle is pushing up or down and it gets tiring really fast. Having a cart this size has the benefit we can wear jeans out to the refuge on the levees and put on our waders when we're unpacking, which in warm weather sure saves a bunch of sweating attracting mosquitos.

I hunted the second time with my son and his buddy, and when they said how they liked it, I told them the welds were pretty ugly. Ted (son's friend) made a classic remark,

"Bill, there's no points for pretty out here". All too true!

Comment

Awesome!!!!

Comment

I know it's a lousy picture from a cell phone camera, but here's Charlie and the 4 ducks from the shakedown hunt. We didn't have a camera with us in the refuge to take a pic of the dog in the blind.

I don't think I posted before that Charlie (my buddy's lab) is the pup of Wildman's dog Lacy, transplanted to California.

IMG_0009 (Medium).JPG

Two hen mallards, one drake pintail and one gadwall hen (you guys call them gray ducks).

Comment

genius!

Comment

Dont know about where you hunt but in southeast Texas marshes you better put some feet on that thing or itll sink plumb outa sight. Good idea though.

Comment

Thanks, I posted that a while ago. What finally happened was the cart wound up parked on the side of my house for long-term storage, most of the hunting we do is state and federal wildlife waterfowl refuges, so it's a dash to the better ponds and traveling light and being mobile when the birds are landing other ponds is important, plus we ride mountain bikes lots of the time to reduce travel time- up until the levees get muddy and it's impossible. My son 'took' the dog blind, and would pack-it on a packframe I made out of my old highschool JanSport backpack, then bungie his decoy bag on top of it. His lab appreciated him getting him out of the water. The bottoms are pretty good in the refuges and other than the year-round water and deeper ponds, most of them are 12-24 inches deep and flooded up over food sources (water grass, smart weed, other stuff I don't know what it is but the ducks like it) so you can push the pvc legs in and it's solid. Being able to vary the length works.

Comment

I was just looking at the pictures, and we lost that golden retriever and had to put Lady down in July. It was good to see a picture of her when she was healthy, again.

Comment

Working...
                      X