PDA

View Full Version : Irvin ranch in coleman

barnett77859
06-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Has any one booked a hunt there for this fall?

DJM
06-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Never heard of it.They got a web site

DJ

bitman
07-17-2007, 05:03 PM
dont go, waste of money and time! I went last year, has lots of small deer, but none at the feeders since hes get them set up to where you cant get any corn out of them. He gives you a zip loc of corn to throw out when you go to the stand! I whipped a feeders azz last year and only got like 2 kernels out of it, no kidding! His stands are nice, but you might have one very small shooting lane per stand, if lucky! I sat in one last year that you couldnt have shot a deer out of unless it was climbing in the tree with you! Its a pretty ridicoulous place, pretty much a total joke and Mr Irving is pretty much a total azz! He had it out with one of the hunters who I happened to share a bed room with who had chlosterphobia pretty bad I guess. But anyway the guy wanted to leave a small light on in our room and it wasnt bothering me or the 2 buddies I went with, nor the mans buddy he was hunting with. But Mr Irvin wasnt having no night lights in his cabin, he let it be known that he owned the joint and he wanted it pitch black. So the dude went a slept in his van. Pretty crappy place all around and some pitiful hospitality! I totally dont recommend it!!!!!!!!!! Its dirt cheap, but you get what you pay for at his place, fo sho!
Danny G

muddydog
07-17-2007, 10:38 PM
I live in Coleman and have never heard of the place. The hunting around here is just like anywhere in the state, pretty much hit or miss, There are some big deer in this county and you can kill one in all areas. The best area for numbers are the South and West parts, the biggest deer are normally killed in the Northern Part. But thats not saying there arent big ones everywhere. I would prefer to hunt the Southern portion of the county myself.

Hoyt Man
07-17-2007, 10:45 PM
bitman, I had a friend of mine tell me the same thing as far as feeders and blinds go, he said it was cheap but a waste of money. I cannot say since I have not been there though.

barnett77859
07-18-2007, 08:36 AM
I have been to Larrys several times I guess 5 times in all
or 5 years in a row I have killed a deer ever time nothing big but its meat in the cooler. I also killed one really nice gobbler so I really think for the money it might be the best deal out there. Larry seemed to have his rules and every one has to go by them. To me if you have rules thats the way it should be. I dont know about the light deal seem a little over bearing to me
he has fans in the rooms so whats the big deal about a light. Just my 2 cents worth

barnett77859
10-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Has any one been to Larrys this year?

SPrackattack
10-19-2007, 05:47 AM
I'm am with bitman on this one. Me and a couple of other guys went, and had the same luck. I just about ***** my pants when he handed us a ziploc baggy of corn the next morning.( I felt like a school kid with a sack lunch) UHH....what's the purpose of the feeders?(they were emty) Stands have, and always will be pegged, cause he aint moving any of them. I think out of 10 guys, there was only 1 person who killed a buck.(looked like a small dog) I did see a spike come running by me a hundred mph. Looked like he was running for his life. All stands couldnt be more than 150yds apart. I heard every kind of grunt call, sex call, distress call,rattling that you could imagine while I was there. Complete and total waste of money. We did however, see more animals before we got to the ranch, than we did on that place. I might would hunt it, to shoot some meat, if I lived like really close,but, I wouldn't recomend it to anyone.. and thats my $0.02 You'll get a better understanding of how it is if you look at the handful of pics on his wall at the size of the bucks taken.

PaHunter1972
10-20-2007, 10:49 PM
It seems to me that the threads on the Irvin Ranch are pretty mixed, anyone have any input why ? Seems also that if it was so bad, as some have put it, why would there continue to be repeat customers ? In general, to my knowledge, deer in this area are on the small side as it is, and speaking from experience I have seen a ton of deer in that locale. I am just really curious, as I have a hunt booked with Larry in early November, and up until reading this stuff I was really looking forward to it

SPrackattack
10-21-2007, 01:35 AM
Pa, again, I can only give you an example of my experience at this place, as it was posted under "Rate the day lease." Guess it all boils down to what type of hunter you are. You may like this place, and we did see alot of animals in this locale(just before we got to the gate). I prefer more of a "do it yourself" hunt, instead of relying on someone to put me and a stand. I dont know why he handed out baggies of corn when there are feeders on the place, or why the stands where so close together. What I do know is...we didnt see much at all on his place. Again, this was my experience, maybe someone out there has alot of luck at this ranch.

PaHunter1972
10-21-2007, 10:35 AM
sp, I appreciate the feedback. I am like you, I prefer a do it yourself hunt, but being as my cash flow is limited (I am in the military, go figure...lol) it is extremely hard for me to find a place to hunt where I don't have to pay an arm and a leg. I do hope this turns out good, and to me that doesn't really mean that I put something on a meatpole, just that I see animals and have a generally relaxing time. I still have 2 more short hunts booked the rest of the year, plus traveling home to Pa for their season

Sbanger
10-25-2007, 10:16 AM
Last year i hunted at larrys with a friend of mine from east texas. he has been there four or five times. And has always had a good time and good luck. i shot a doe, as did four other hunters. There was also one whopper of a bob cat shot. No ther were no bucks shot one good one was seen but never came out of the brush. No it is not a place to go to kill a trophy deer, but there are plenty of deer, and i liked the accomidations. i will be returning on the 9th of november to hunt again. on a scale of 1-10 my last experince was about a 7.

PaHunter1972
10-25-2007, 08:59 PM
sbanger, that's when I am going. Look for a 30 something, bald guy driving a blue dodge...lol

Sbanger
10-26-2007, 10:41 AM
well pa we are shore to have a good time then. My father, uncle, and a friend of mine from athens tx will be there. like i said it is not a do it yourself hunt wich i prefer, but it is a good time and the comroderyship will be excelent.

barnett77859
10-29-2007, 06:59 AM
pa I have been there 5 or 6 time always gotten a deer and several times
I got 2 a buck and a doe . Once a really nice turkey with a 10 inch beard
its fun and a nice cheap hunt not a trophy hunt but a fun hunt.
Its not for the hunters that expect to see deer from the time they get into the stand untill they get out its just not like that but it a good hunt.
Good luck.

PaHunter1972
10-30-2007, 04:34 PM
barnett, sb, I know you can get 1 buck, 1 doe, and 1 turkey, but are you allowed to shoot 2 does instead of taking a buck ? Just curious....

Sbanger
10-31-2007, 01:44 PM
No pa there are no substitutions at larrys.

PaHunter1972
11-01-2007, 08:54 PM
ok, that's cool. Just wondering. Man I am going NUTS waiting for this hunt ! I have never killed a whitetail with a bow (in my dreams, yes), so I am so hoping for an opportunity

barnett77859
11-02-2007, 07:17 AM
pa this is a great place to get your first kill. I wish I was going
I know you will have a good time. You may not see deer ever hunt
but if you do a good job hunting and controll your scent you should get a deer. When are you going?

PaHunter1972
11-02-2007, 07:46 AM
next weekend, the 10th thru the 12th

barnett77859
11-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Pa I see your from Abilene . I think thats the same place that Larry
is from. I believe he was a dentist there.

PaHunter1972
11-02-2007, 04:15 PM
I know he is from here, as that's where I sent the deposit and such, but didn't know he was a dentist. He seems like a good man to me, took almost an hour out of his time to talk about the ranch, hunt, etc

dswalke2
11-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Larry is a pretty nice guy, very straight forward, but a nice guy. I have hunted there several times, shot my share of deer, small, but meat in the freezer. I have seen some good bucks on his place as well, but all out of bow range.

His stands are unique and very different to the folks that have not hunted there...they take a little getting used too, but once you figure them out, they are pretty easy to hunt out of. I do agree that some have limited shooting lanes, but most are setup pretty well in strategic locations.

If a person is a seasoned hunter, he/she will not have any problem getting a deer at Larry's place. I have been there when some of the guys hunting would be wearing after shave, smoked, didn't wear camo, and talked or moved too much...of course these were the guys that did nothing but complain about not seeing any deer...makes you wonder why they are there at all. Anyway, I have no issues with Larry.

PaHunter1972
11-02-2007, 06:01 PM
As I was looking through threads and all earlier, I was wondering the same thing, as far as scent control and such. I will say that the vast majority of my hunting experience is with a rifle, but even at that I have always believed in scent control. I can't afford the scent lock clothing, but if you do a few small things (washing with scent free soap, bagging your clothes in big ziplocks with those stinky dryer sheets, sit still) you will do your part in the bowhunting process. It's not rocket science, don't smell like a human, don't act like a human, you just might not be pegged as a human...just my .02 worth

SPrackattack
11-03-2007, 05:09 PM
[QUOTE=PaHunter1972;355211]As I was looking through threads and all earlier, I was wondering the same thing, as far as scent control and such.

I havent heard anyone mention that he loads everyone in the back of a pickup truck to carry them to the stand, or at least he did us. Hopefully, he got a new truck, cause that one he had smoked like a housefire. So, with that being said, I dont see how you can really get freaky with scent control, when you get out of his truck smelling like oil. Not trying to step on the toes of all those Larry diehards.....just looking out for my own toes.....:cool:

PaHunter1972
11-03-2007, 06:42 PM
understandable, but I have been there before ! :) I did the same thing then that I plan on doing, as far as scent control, so I think I'll be ok. Now, if I can just stay awake.....

barnett77859
11-05-2007, 06:58 AM
Larry Has a new truck for what its worth I had no problem with the old one
I kind of liked the bags of corn he gives out also because I could place it were I wanted it. No its not a tall fence place and the deer you hunt
are deer that have seen about all the tricks from hunters but thats what made it challanging for me I knew I had to be at my best to get it done.

PaHunter1972
11-05-2007, 09:52 PM
sounds like a challenge to me, EXACTLY what I am looking for. Caged hunts just don't do anything for me, if that was the case why even go hunting ?

SPrackattack
11-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Pa, when are yall going? Let us know how ya did....:)

PaHunter1972
11-05-2007, 11:33 PM
will do. I will be hunting this weekend, Sat thru Monday. Had to go and book a pig hunt before then, just itching to put SOME meat on the pole ! :)

SPrackattack
11-06-2007, 04:41 PM
will do. I will be hunting this weekend, Sat thru Monday. Had to go and book a pig hunt before then, just itching to put SOME meat on the pole ! :)

Hey Pa, where did ya book the pig hunt? The only one I've ever been to was Chambers Ranch. They have lots of pigs, whitetail and exotics. Tell me how the turkey numbers are at the Irvin place. Are there any more ranches around abilene? When we went there, we saw bunches of turkeys. Thought about making a spring hunt somewhere around there.

PaHunter1972
11-06-2007, 06:19 PM
i found the place in the abilene classifieds, of all places (american classifieds). There are quite a few day lease places in there, decently priced, and they cover hog, deer, and turkey. All of the ones that I called have openings, and even a few will cut the price for weekday hunts

barnett77859
11-20-2007, 06:54 AM
pa hunter
How did you do at larrys? Hope you got something.

PaHunter1972
11-20-2007, 07:43 PM
dang it, I put the thread in the around the campfire section...lol

I didn't get anything, but I had a great time. I missed a very nice 6 point opening morning, just buck fever all the way ! I saw quite a few deer, just was not able to connect on anything. I would definitely go back again, if I had the time available

SPrackattack
11-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Hey Pa, did anyone in yalls group get anything? Just wondering if yall saw or heard any turkeys?

PaHunter1972
11-20-2007, 10:59 PM
we had 3 bucks and a doe taken, a nice 7 point included, but I can't remember the other bucks. No turkeys were harvested, but some were seen on Sat and Sunday morning