PDA

View Full Version : What is a Trophy Buck

Kingslayer
05-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Im looking for some serious comments here...What do yall consider to be a Trophy Whitetail Buck ? Would you shoot any mature buck ? If its your first would you settle for what the land gives you ????? Traditional Kill ...Thanks for all replys

gonehuntin68
05-27-2010, 08:03 PM
If it was my first, I would take the first great shot that was offered and consider any deer a trophy.

huntinpool
05-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Any buck taken with trad. equipment is a trophy. When I hunt public lands , I take the first LEGAL buck that I can. On my lease, I have waited 12 yrs for that wall hanger that I can look at everyday and be PROUD I shot him. I have seen him but so far , the shot has not presented itself. I'll just keep practicing and waiting, it will happen someday.

Bisch
05-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Anthony, The trophy is in the eye of the beholder. I love to bowhunt and am not too picky. For deer, I am fortunate enough to hunt on a decent ranch that has yeilded several Pope & Young bucks. No monsters, but trophys in my book. As long as I am on this place and feel that I have a chance to get a "nice" buck, I will let the smaller bucks walk and shoot does for the meat. The pigs I shoot are usually the smaller ones, say 50-100lbs, as those are the best eaters. Turkeys, well, anything with a beard gets shot at. I like to eat them too much to let one walk.

Different people will give you way different answers on this question. When I first started bowhunting I just wanted to be successful in harvesting an animal and did not worry about how big it was. After many years and quite a bit of success, I am a bit more picky (esp on whitetail bucks).Some "trophy" hunters would laugh at every animal I have mounted but they all mean something special to me and that is all that matters. Like stated above, I think any animal harvested with a trad bow is a trophy. We put a lot or work into being proficient enough to be successful with our equipment.

So anyway, keep practicing and when you are ready, hit the woods my friend.

There is nothing like sitting in the woods with a longbow in your hands waiting for IT to happen.

Bisch

Samiel2d
05-27-2010, 09:07 PM
im kinda w/ bisch on this one.... this will be my first season deer hunting period (used to hog and coyote hunt when i was younger but never had the urge or means to deer hunt) with that being said, if i were to take any buck this season idk if he's got spikes or a monster, he's gettin mounted.... a trophy animal is only a trophy to the person who takes it...

Peacock
05-27-2010, 09:20 PM
hhhmmmm.......good question.

SAM STEPHENS
05-27-2010, 09:28 PM
Its the one you like/dont matter what anyone says

Tubby
05-27-2010, 09:31 PM
1st of all I haven't been shooting traditional but for 5 months. Haven't had the chance to hunt with it yet. If I feel confident and proficient enough with the stick and string this season, so be it. If not, I'll still be shooting with training wheels! :D

ANY deer taken with traditional equipment is a trophy in my eyes. All the hype about Pope & Crockett - Boone & Young :p doesn't come into play for me. Just you, stick, string, arra and an "on edge" animal. Doesn't get more difficult than that. Would I shoot a buck with traditional that I wouldn't shoot with a rifle? Yes. If he's legal, presents a clean ethical shot, it's going to fly. Even a doe taken w/ traditional is a prize in my eyes. Some folks will probably disagree with me but to each their own. ;)b

muzzlebrake
05-27-2010, 09:41 PM
I agree. It's what it looks like to the eyes of the beholder.

My dream buck would be a chocolate horned 160" 8pt with 7-8" brows and 14" G2's and 40+" of mass.
Ok, I'm awake now.

kestimator
05-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Bisch did a good job of stating things.

Respectfully, don't let others dictate to you what "your" trophy is.

Kingslayer
05-27-2010, 11:12 PM
I asked the question..I have been takeing alot of grief from my inlaws over sheads I have found,and made the comment If I see this buck I would shoot him...To them 140 or better is the only shots they will take...

Ive only been hunting deer since 2008 and have taken 2 bucks...The last buck taken by my hand caused a MAJOR UP-ROAR!!!!!! Because he was not a shooter in their eyes...And I lost my spot hunting with them this year...Both of those bucks were taken by a rifle..

I have yet to take anything with my longbow yet...But Im ready...I have one 3 day invite so far to hunt in Bracketville tx..I hope to beable to get some more hunts lined up soon...For whitetails

150class
05-27-2010, 11:21 PM
I think its a mixture of how you see the buck and what your able to harvest from the land. For me, hunting mostly in south texas, I like to percieve a trophy as a buck that will score more then my previous wall hanger (how i see the animal). Then for the area of south texas a throphy is generally 160 and above from where ive hunted (what the land can produce for you), but different areas produce different trophy caliber deer.

Draco
05-27-2010, 11:43 PM
I usually, through scouting and cameras, find what I think is the best buck around me and I hunt it until I get it or the season is over. That's the trophy for me.

splitfinger
05-28-2010, 08:53 AM
I'm with all here who state that a "Trophy" is in the eye of the beholder.

You must also consider the density of the deer population in your hunting area. I hunt in Deep East Texas where I only see about 5-10 deer for the entire season and I get to hunt at least 5 sittings/week. We don't have a large population of deer here due to overharvesting by an adjoining Hunting Club and poachers. I've got some great trail cam pics of nice 120"+ bucks on my property in Spring thru Summer but they seem to vanish about the time the velvet is rubbed off. My point is, any deer (buck or doe) I can take on my property will be a "Trophy", at least to me.

Best of luck with your personal evaluation.

Doug Key

Mike Murphey
05-28-2010, 09:54 AM
To me, a trophy all depends on where you are...in some places where deer are hunted hard and a 14" 6 point is a monster than a 14" 6 point is a trophy....it's not about the size of the deer so much as the hunt for the deer..many times a very old, wiry, smart doe is the best trophy you can take....I took a small 8 point many years ago because one of the guys we were hunting with shot at this guy at least 20 times in a couple of week period, (yes he emptied his quiver at this deer over many hunts). He asked me to come in to his stand and kill this buck for him because he was convinced that he would not kill anything as long as this buck was there and he already knew this buck was unkillable to him. Long story short, I took this buck out for him and the next time he hunted that stand he took a great 5 point that was 20" wide. This 8 point is on my wall as a trophy and as a reminder to me of Charley Johnson.....

Ol Thumper
05-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Any hard antlered buck is a trophy, every hunter has the choice to make up his own mind. I'm starting to steer away from the "Trophy" hunting myself not that their is anything wrong with it but it has been getting a little less fun more me so this year I'm changing it up a little and going to go into the year with an open mind and decide on the kill's by how they present themselves and the moment versus the head gear. Every deer I take is a trophy in my eyes and honestly thats all that really matters.

Texastaxi
05-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Any buck that's hanging, by his hocks, from a gambrel! :D

tookeymonster
05-28-2010, 10:17 AM
what ever is a trophy to you is a trophy.

outdoordaddy
05-28-2010, 10:18 AM
I asked the question..I have been takeing alot of grief from my inlaws over sheads I have found,and made the comment If I see this buck I would shoot him...To them 140 or better is the only shots they will take...

Ive only been hunting deer since 2008 and have taken 2 bucks...The last buck taken by my hand caused a MAJOR UP-ROAR!!!!!! Because he was not a shooter in their eyes...And I lost my spot hunting with them this year...Both of those bucks were taken by a rifle..

I have yet to take anything with my longbow yet...But Im ready...I have one 3 day invite so far to hunt in Bracketville tx..I hope to beable to get some more hunts lined up soon...For whitetails

Well let me tell you about inlaws...ummm...no...I better not...I like being a member on TBH...:D

Bisch
05-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Anthony, Lets look at this from the other side. I am not trying to take their side but do understand their views. It costs a lot of maoney and time and patience to grow big bucks. If someone is spending the time and money and has the patience to wait then I can see where he would get mad if someone else shot one of the "up and comer" bucks on his place. The landowner/lease manager gets to set the rules and when rules are not followed (whether accidentally or not) feelings get hurt and confrontations arise.

I don't think I could hunt on a place that had a minimum inch or age rule. I go by feel. If it is a good looking buck that I would mount I will shoot it. If not, I will let it walk.

Like I said, I am not trying to take their side. I am just trying to explain their side a little. I know how "family" squabbles can turn ugly and I was just hoping to try to help explain a little.

I hope y'all get it all worked out.

Bisch

trad"Doc"53
05-28-2010, 10:46 AM
1st of all I haven't been shooting traditional but for 5 months. Haven't had the chance to hunt with it yet. If I feel confident and proficient enough with the stick and string this season, so be it. If not, I'll still be shooting with training wheels! :D

ANY deer taken with traditional equipment is a trophy in my eyes. All the hype about Pope & Crockett - Boone & Young :p doesn't come into play for me. Just you, stick, string, arra and an "on edge" animal. Doesn't get more difficult than that. Would I shoot a buck with traditional that I wouldn't shoot with a rifle? Yes. If he's legal, presents a clean ethical shot, it's going to fly. Even a doe taken w/ traditional is a prize in my eyes. Some folks will probably disagree with me but to each their own. ;)b

Tubby, thanks, you saved me a lot of typing. I am not financially able to have a place to hunt so any legal deer is a trophy to me. All this farming of big deer will be the eventual demise of our sport. It will shift the view from taking game for food vs. hunting for the "horns".

trad"Doc"53
05-28-2010, 10:53 AM

Tubby, thanks, you saved me a lot of typing. I am not financially able to have a place to hunt so any legal deer is a trophy to me. All this farming of big deer will be the eventual demise of our sport. It will shift the view from taking game for food vs. hunting for the "horns". All the previous responses are good!

trad"Doc"53
05-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Sorry for the double post.

Txnrog
05-28-2010, 10:57 AM
OK, gotta chime in. As mentioned above, a trophy is in the eye of the beholder, but your ability to harvest said animal is dictated by the owners or lease rules of the ranch you are on (unless hunting public of course). If your in-laws say that you can only take a 4.5 yr old with more than X # of points, you should treat that the same as you would a 'legal' antler minimum where the state sets the requirements. In short, on private land, the owner determines what is a 'legal' deer - that may be well above your definition of a trophy, but I'd stay within it if you value your right to hunt, and relationship with your inlaws (funny how ranch happenings bleed over into personal happenings).

Where I hunt, I look for age as defining factor in a trophy. Our bucks don't get all that big - we throw out the occasional 140 class deer, but most max out around P&Y minimum. I would rather let the 140's go to breed until they start going down hill, and shoot the 125in 5+yr olds.

That said, I honestly have never shot a trophy WT with archery tackle. Shot plenty of other trophies, but am perhaps overly conservative with what I'll drop the string on - I typically tell myself that if I wouldn't shoot it with a rifle, I won't shoot it with my bow.

meangene1969
05-28-2010, 01:11 PM
My first was not a huge buck but it was mature. I think any first legal buck with trad gear is a trophy

Mark G
05-28-2010, 02:10 PM
A trophy is any legal Buck you take with Traditional equiptment.....

Buff
05-28-2010, 03:04 PM
30 or so years ago, me and a close friend killed a deer each on the same afternoon on public east Texas land. His was a 3 point and mine was a spike. It was my second or third, his first. Mine was taken with a recurve his a long bow. That night sitting by the fire looking at our deer hanging in a tree....... I have never been prouder.

splitfinger
05-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Well said (as usual) Buff.

kestimator
05-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Soap Box Time.....

Hunting should be about tradition and fun! There is nothing wrong with letting bucks walk to live and grow bigger if you want them to. My Dad and I helped a small place (rifle hunting) improve over about 5 years doing that. Our choice. We also shot some young bucks along with all the spikes and does. I could not and would not want to be a part of a mandated "program". The fun would not be there for me. I'm too hard-headed. Too much emphasis is placed on "management" and antler inches these days due to egos and dollars. Folks wanting to "out inch or out score" one another are not the folks that I want to share a warm campfire or a cold beverage with.

Txnrog
05-29-2010, 12:35 AM
I think Warrior's second post raised another veign to the thread. Answers to the first post were fine and dandy (and I agree with them), but the second comment brought up the issue of basically guest rules. Regardless of your view of a trophy, or the enhanced challenge of your chosen weapon, you've gotta follow the rules of the piece of property you are on. It doesn't have to be super management or 'no fun' to have some basic expectations on a property where you are a guest. I have hunted a number of places that weren't tightly managed, but given the group and owner, you would have known you'd done something wrong if you'd walked in with a 2.5 year old 5 pt.

Having a little restraint in what you harvest shouldn't remove the fun. a 2.5 year old 5 pt may be a huge accomplishment on one piece of property, or he may be the deer that ALWAYS comes in (is a bit dumb) and everybody enjoys watching on another place.

Cuz
05-29-2010, 03:23 AM
If it was my first, I would take the first great shot that was offered and consider any deer a trophy.

X2