PDA

View Full Version : What next?

rphutch
04-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Looking for advice.
I recently (Feb.) bought a Bear Super Grizzly from Kestimator on the TBH classifieds and now I'm hooked. Never thought I could get interested in Traditional archery, but the challenge has me addicted.
I've been a member of TBH since 2007 but never felt the need to post much as I could usually find the answer to my questions by searching the forums.
I don't think that holds true as much with traditional archery.
I've been shooting 50-60 shots every day since late February. I've been steadily improving and I think I'm ready for the next step.
I need to join a club. Mesquite Archery Club seems to be the obvious choice to me. Are there a good number of traditional shooter there? Any one from here? I'm not so much interested in competition, I just want to be ready to hunt.
I appreciate any advice.

A little about me.
I live in Mesquite. Graduated from North in '72.
Married for 37 years.
5 grandkids, one on the way.
I am a "collision repair technician", (bodyman), like my Dad was.
My first bow was a Bear Whitetail Hunter.
Now I have a Bear Instinct and the Super Grizzly recurve.
Haven't picked up the Instinct since I got the recurve.

I know you better than you know me because I read these forums everyday and I've learned a lot from you guys. I still have a lot to learn and I hope to meet some of you face to face, soon.

Deb
04-25-2010, 09:40 AM
Check out the Denton County club and Cowtown Bowmen. Good people there. Welcome to trad.

El Paisano
04-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Welcome.
I've been hooked since '67. You always keep learning.
I was OK for a long time, but really only got real confident in the last few years.
Can't help you on a local group.

fletcherfor2
04-25-2010, 09:57 AM
I don't know anything about the Mesquite club and I don't know about the size of their Trad contingency. Tin Man could help you out with that. You may want to PM him your question in case he doesn't notice this thread.

From Mesquite, you may also want to check out Collin County Bowhunters Association. They have a sizable Trad component.

Here's a link to the Denton County web site. There are also links from there to the CCBA and TBoT sites.

http://dentoncountyarchers.com/

Night Wing
04-25-2010, 12:00 PM
I seriously got into shooting trad bows when I was 14 years old and that was in 1964. Trad archery is one of my better "vices". :D

Bisch
04-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Welcome to the fire and your new addiction! Wait till you walk up to your first animal taken with trad equipoment - ther id=s noother feeling like it in the world!!!!!

Sorry, I can't help with the clubs up there except to second what everybody else said. I will add this though; go to a couple 3D shoots in your area and meet the local trad guys. You might find a wealth of information and some new great friends that way.

Good Luck and maybe we'll meet up in the future,

Bisch

JEFFRO
04-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Mesquite club is in lancaster about 10 minutes from my house in red oak, we were memers out there about 10 years ago, and we were 2 of the 3 trad. shooters at the club.. we drive across town to ft.worth and are members of the texas longbow assocation. also just up 820 is cowtown, and up 35 is denton, but i think colin county might;;;; be closer to ya, and also there are some great folks up there. todd, bud, mark, just to name a few..
as for now i have no idea about the Mesquite club have not been there in like 10 years....

hth. jeffro

equin
04-25-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm new to both, trad and Mesquite Archery Club. Too new to know who, if anyone, shoots trad at MAC. In fact, too new to know anyone at MAC, except the few friendly folk I met a short while there.

Would love to join the Denton and Collin clubs, but they're a bit a ways from my house. But I did have a blast at the Denton trad shoot earlier this year, my 2nd shoot ever.

Main reason I joined MAC is because it's only 10 minutes from my house. I've only used their practice range, which has targets at 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 and 60 yards. Definitely beats the limited space in my backyard! Have no idea what the rest of MAC has to offer, though, since I haven't had a chance yet to check the whole place out.

Anyway, if you and Jeffro join up, then at least we'll know there's at least 3 trad shooters there!

kestimator
04-26-2010, 06:52 AM
rphutch,

Glad that you are still enjoying the Bear recurve!!! Trad shooting just seems to take over your mind :) Looking forward to your participation on the Traditional Forum!

Kevin :)

meangene1969
04-26-2010, 09:56 AM
come see us at Cowtown

Longbow99
04-26-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm new to both, trad and Mesquite Archery Club. Too new to know who, if anyone, shoots trad at MAC. In fact, too new to know anyone at MAC, except the few friendly folk I met a short while there.

Would love to join the Denton and Collin clubs, but they're a bit a ways from my house. But I did have a blast at the Denton trad shoot earlier this year, my 2nd shoot ever.

Main reason I joined MAC is because it's only 10 minutes from my house. I've only used their practice range, which has targets at 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 and 60 yards. Definitely beats the limited space in my backyard! Have no idea what the rest of MAC has to offer, though, since I haven't had a chance yet to check the whole place out.

Anyway, if you and Jeffro join up, then at least we'll know there's at least 3 trad shooters there!

I shot at MAC with JEFFRO some 10 odd years ago and there were just a hand full of trad arches shooting there then. I've been thinking of going out there just because it's close. Would love to join Denton or Collin but it's just to far. We really need to build something up to cover the east side of Dallas.

equin
04-26-2010, 11:52 PM
Join up, Longbow99! That would make 4 of us (less than a handful, but still!) if Jeffro and Rphutch join up, too.

fletcherfor2
04-27-2010, 07:45 AM
Join up, Longbow99! That would make 4 of us (less than a handful, but still!) if Jeffro and Rphutch join up, too.

Jeffro is a handful all by himself!:D

Deb
04-27-2010, 07:53 AM
That got me thinkin', Dusty, anyone ever shot a round with Jeffro, Arvin and Bisch?

meangene1969
04-27-2010, 08:36 AM
no ones that brave

Longbow99
04-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Jeffro is a handful all by himself!:D

ROTFL :D :D

Like I said, I shot with JEFFRO many moons ago. (Been in counciling every since;) )

Actually Jeff is a pretty good guy, and always fun to be around. ;)b

I may do just that equin. I 've been looking for an excuse to go out there. Promised myself I would dedicate a lot more time to the bow and this would make it so much easier.

Deb
04-27-2010, 10:39 AM
My very first shoot I shot with Jeffro & Neetz. I have shot with Jeffro & Arvin and Bisch & Arvin but never all together. Boy Howdy, what a round that would be.

equin
04-27-2010, 11:41 AM
ROTFL :D :D

Like I said, I shot with JEFFRO many moons ago. (Been in counciling every since;) )

Actually Jeff is a pretty good guy, and always fun to be around. ;)b

I may do just that equin. I 've been looking for an excuse to go out there. Promised myself I would dedicate a lot more time to the bow and this would make it so much easier.

Cool! If you see an ugly, full-sized Ford Bronco parked in there and a skinny, goofy-looking, dark-haired middle-aged guy with poor shooting skills, it'll most likely be me!

rphutch
04-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Alright then! I'm in. I'll be gone this weekend, but I'll try to get out there next week to sign up. My shooting skills being what they are, anyone should look good shooting with me!
Does anyone know when the club is open? I can't find anything. Guess I could call!

fletcherfor2
04-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Does anyone know when the club is open? I can't find anything. Guess I could call!

Here's their web site.

http://www.mesquitearcheryclub.com/

equin
04-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Once you join the club, you can have access to the range whenever you want. They will give you a combination to the gate lock. Mind you, the combo they gave me didn't work (or the lock was just stubborn), but I understand they recently changed locks, or are about to, so hopefully the new lock works.

Also, they have a "Tuesday Night Shoots" every Tuesday. Unfortunately, I don't get off from work til late, so haven't been able to go.

JEFFRO
04-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Cool! If you see an ugly, full-sized Ford Bronco parked in there and a skinny, goofy-looking, dark-haired middle-aged guy with poor shooting skills, it'll most likely be me!

dang equin, you sound just like me. EXCEPT
i drive a good lookin dodge, i'm fat. gray,old and a great shot.... ALOL

equin
04-28-2010, 05:13 PM
dang equin, you sound just like me. EXCEPT
i drive a good lookin dodge, i'm fat. gray,old and a great shot.... ALOL

Ah, a role model to whom I can aspire. Growing old, grey and fat sounds easy enough if I don't kill myself trying to achieve that goal, but driving a nice truck and being a great shot seem out of my reach at the moment!