PDA

View Full Version : Spin help

Wildman
04-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Recurve center cut riser 49# @ 28" 125gr. 28 3/4 arrows fletched with rw helical5.5 high back shields

Arrows are 2016 Easton Legacy xx75

Out of my long bow also center cut riser 50# @28", this set up is dot on and I can shoot consistent groups. With my recurve these same arrows are hitting 6" left and consist groups.

Is left too stiff or not enough spine?

Bullrdr82
04-11-2010, 10:07 AM
I am no expert, but assuming you are shooting right handed then I would think they are too stiff. This is coming from what you are saying.

What I dont understand is why there is so much difference, without having a big difference in poundage.

Not trying to sound critical, but could it be your form rather than the arrow? Maybe you are torquing the Recurve riser??

Just thinking out loud here. I know there will be quite a few of the experts chime in, but it might not be until tomorrow or late tonight.... Most are at Vanderpool right now.

Wildman
04-11-2010, 10:45 AM
I just read some on brace height and there is a point at which the arrow leaves the string. Too much brace height and the arrow leaves at a different point same in vise/versa.

Also, string material is critical (from what I just read) in the factor of arrow flight. I have fast flight on my longbow and B-50 on my recurve.

Form....... oh come on man I got perfect form each and every shot! :D

Seriously, the form is fine as my arrows at 15 yards are all almost touching. It is something else. String material, brace height, or spine. Since I have gone from 8.5 to 7.5 on brace height and nothing really changed but arrow flight (swirling), I am still wondering if there is another factor to consider.

I am not getting any fletching damage, there is no excessive wear on my riser plate or seal hair rest from the arrow.

I have shot 85 grain to 125 and seem to keep the same 6ish left groups. I don't have any 160gr tips.

Txnrog
04-11-2010, 11:05 AM
I am certainly no expert, but it sounds like you're overspined. Alot will depend on the particular bows and as you mentioned brace heights - the weights are somewhat irrelevant in this case. I would suggest playing with your brace height and trying out some heavier tips.

The difference in string types is probably a lot less significant than the difference in bow types :)

You kinda mentioned it yourself that the arrows started swirling since you changed brace height - that would tell me that for your current setup, that's the wrong BH - if you want to keep the same arrow setup, you might want to play with the arrow spine.

I'm a complete novice, so take it for what it's worth.

Draco
04-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Try twisting the string up some on the recurve and that might help. You could also use heavier points on the arrows when you shoot them out of the recurve.

Just because two bows are the same weight, same length, even same brand, identical in every obvious respect, it doesn't mean they will shoot the same with the same arrows. One might like one brace height, and the other a different one. You really must tune each bow individually.

splitfinger
04-12-2010, 08:01 AM
If I recall a 2016 is a 62# shaft @ 28". That being said, you normally need a stiffer arrow for a recurve than a longbow but with today's R/D longbows spine is somewhat equalled out. If I had to guess, I would say the 2016's are underspined for the curve. I shoot a little less weight than you and normally shoot 60/65 Woodies with high back 5/5" shields out of my Fox Breed recurve.

Good luck.

Doug Key

Ol Man
04-12-2010, 08:43 AM
Recurve center cut riser 49# @ 28" 125gr. 28 3/4 arrows fletched with rw helical5.5 high back shields

Arrows are 2016 Easton Legacy xx75

Out of my long bow also center cut riser 50# @28", this set up is dot on and I can shoot consistent groups. With my recurve these same arrows are hitting 6" left and consist groups.

Is left too stiff or not enough spine?

Well let me ask a question first just for my clarification.... You say both are cut to center??? Are you sure one is not cut past center? If so this will affect spine greatly. A lot of bows now days are cut 3/16" pas center - this means you can shoot a wider range of spine arrows and get away with it. If the recurve is cut past center then you would need to move your side plate out more. The 2016's should be a good match for both bows but, like posted above no 2 bows ever shoot the same. Another thing that can affect the end shot placement is torquing the bow. Not sure but it sounds to me like you may be experiencing some of this on the recurve. If it is a pistol gripped riser then draw with as little pressure as you feel you can get away with. Let us know if this helps a bit.

Wildman
04-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Both are cut dead center. The Arcadian Woods longbow that I am having built right now will be cut 3/16 past.

The recurve is custom built and there is no way to torch the bow with the way I have the handle cut to my hand. Well, you can torque it I guess but it would be intentional. That is why I had the handle built to my hand as I did. Thanks Kevin for being so patient with that part of the build.

Sounds like I need to order some 145 and some 160 tips and try to shoot those. I will do that today. I really would like to shoot the same arrow set up out of both bows.

Bisch
04-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Danny, I have a bunch of 145gr, 175gr, and 250gr field points. Just holler if you want to try some.

Bisch

Wildman
04-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Bisch, that is a generous offer. Thanks! I will PM you. We need to get together and shoot anyway. Its been too long since I shot with you.