PDA

View Full Version : Any East Texas Arrowhead Head Hunters

COPPERHEAD
05-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Just wondering if any of yall hunted arrowheads. Always looking to meet more relic hunters in East Texas.

EasTexBow
05-15-2007, 11:57 PM
I used to hunt them with my Dad and Great Uncles when I was a kid. Haven't found one in years though. I do occasionally look while I am out on oilfield locations. No luck though. Got any tips?

COPPERHEAD
05-16-2007, 07:53 AM
Any high ground close to creek,rivers, and springs. Always look for sighns such as flint chips or pottery shrouds. Most camps right on the water were cooking sights. You can surface hunt where they plow fields along rivers. Always get permission from landowners. I pick up a lot in gravel bars in old creek beds. I find the oldest artifacts in the North Sulphur river just south of Paris, Texas

Dr. D
05-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Hey Copperhead,
We hunt them around here in central Tx. I'm part cherokee and part choctaw.

Dr. D
05-16-2007, 08:12 AM
P.S. And a whole bunch of norwegian.

dhays
05-16-2007, 09:22 AM
I used to hunt some, I realy enjoy it but its hard to find places to hunt anymore. I have hunted on Sulphur off of hwy 24 between Paris and Cooper, but didnt have much luck. Is this where you are talking about?

Wac M Trac M
05-16-2007, 10:09 AM
I look for them all the time but no luck. I have access to some very good property with a river and a large wet feeder creek going through them. South West Texas University has done a few digs out there and found alot of cool stuff.

I was told to look for black rocks...thats where the camps were. Dude there are black rocks everywhere. I,m looking to learn, if anyone in the area wants to come out and show me. I'll take you there.

Roy D Mercer
05-16-2007, 10:40 AM
We have very little rock on our place in east texas. The arrowheads I have found there were made of petrified wood. The picture below are arrowheads found around central texas.

dennisomfs
05-16-2007, 10:52 AM
..have found some on a place I used to own near the dam on Lake Palestine...have family in the Clarksville/Bogata area so get up that way on occasion...looking for arrowheads might be a good excuse ! I know my wife would dig it!

Casey
05-16-2007, 11:06 AM
I've never looked all that hard, but have always wanted to find one. Recently, while searching in a plowed field (not in East Texas), I found this:

I have access to property in East Texas, no riverfront, but it does have creeks running through it. I'd love to find something out there. Just don't know exactly what to look for.

Baygall
05-16-2007, 11:30 AM
I found a nice 4' spear head on a small island in Sam Rayburn. Of course i left it there because it's illegal to keep artifacts found on ArmyCorp. land!

Mike
05-16-2007, 11:54 AM
I remember as a kid spending a lot of time with my Mom walking the bank and springs on the north side of Sam Rayburn. My Dad would drop us off and then fish for a while. There are a lot of natural springs North of Mill Creek but I can't remember what ever happened to those heads as I am sure she found a few, I was too busy playing in the water, lol.

Landrover
05-16-2007, 02:56 PM
cool stuff! never done it but may need to look around

COPPERHEAD
05-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Here is one case, all from East Texas.

COPPERHEAD
05-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Hey Copperhead,
We hunt them around here in central Tx. I'm part cherokee and part choctaw.

The artifacts in Central Texas are the nicest I have seen come out of Texas. I found a 6" corner tang off the Leon River, one of my nicest knifes. Before they built Lake Belton, you could pick artifacts up every where.

COPPERHEAD
05-16-2007, 03:53 PM
I used to hunt some, I realy enjoy it but its hard to find places to hunt anymore. I have hunted on Sulphur off of hwy 24 between Paris and Cooper, but didnt have much luck. Is this where you are talking about?

Thats the place. Only go after big rains. That is what it takes to wash stuff out. Some of my best artifacts have came out of the North Sulphur River. It takes a while to get an eye for it.