3D tourney's ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D tourney's ?

Our club the Golden Eagles Field Archers is planning a trophy 3D shoot in the summer.

What do you all like to see at the tourneys? In other words what makes a tournament one of your favorites or one that you don't like to miss? Maybe even make plans to attend next year.

High quality turnout and good club organization are the two biggest things that make me want to go to a tournament.

I make an extra effort to attend tournaments that have a large number of quality competitors. In order to attract a large number of quality competitors I feel that good organization throughout your club.

I feel that too many clubs lack any form of marketing. If you want to bring in shooters from across the state you need to get the word out. Send flyers to other clubs, bow shops, local outdoor stores (Gander/Bass Pro). Establish a website with updated shoot information and current contact numbers. Post your flyer and talk it up on sites like this one. Start early. Brownsville is a far piece for most in the state so shooters will need to plan ahead. After the tournament post pictures from the shoot and do a write up so people will know what they missed. Host a few of the circuit shoots like LSBA, TBOT, ASA and IBO.

Maintain your targets. It is very frustrating to shoot a course with targets that have varying kill rings. In other words, if you are going to count 12s make sure all targets have either center 12s or ASA 12s.

Recheck the stakes. Make sure that there is a stake for each class on every target and that each stake is clearly marked. Place the stakes at the appropriate yardages for each class.

If you are going to have a tournament in Texas in the summer keep the walking distance between targets to a minimum and put out a lot of cold water.

Post scores as soon as possible after the shoot. Have someone enter the participants into a database or excel spreadsheet while the shooters are out on the course.

If you are going to spend money on awards, focus on the kids. Kids love trophies and medals. If you are going to give awards to the adults, make it something they can use like a buckle and design something distinct so that when it is seen everyone will know where it came from (more advertisement for the club).

Just my two cents, hope it helps.

Comment

TradAg02,
      Thanks. Lots of helpful insight. I really appreciate it. I plan on making the tournament into an event that people won't want to miss.

Definately the quality of shooters will make or break a tournament. What will make those top guns want to show up? Any ideas?

We are close to Mexico and close to South Padre Island these could be incentives for people wanting to come on down.

Comment

The shoots with the highest year over year turnout seem to be the large ASA shoots. They generally make it a weekend event where participants can shoot a team round on Friday and then half round on Saturday and half round with peer groups on Sunday. The larger traditional shoots I attend generally allow participants to shoot multiple classes over two days with an overall winner. So it appears that if you are going to bring in individuals from any distance, they prefer to have multiple opportunities to shoot.

In addition the larger ASA and IBO shoots award on a percentage payback. While this seems to work well for these national organizations I have seen it hurt smaller clubs.

Try PMing the individuals who have responded to the ASA Classic in GA thread http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...wthread.php?t= to find out what would cause them to travel all of the way to Georgia.

Comment

Again thanks for your help.
          I don't think I we are ready to have shooters from all over the country, but we would sure like to have shooters from south Texas to come from Laredo to Austin to Houston if we could. Right now even that seems like a lot. It might not happen this year but we want to make it good enough where it will get a good reputation thus people wanting to come to our shoot.

Comment

I don't get to travel to as many shoots as I used to. The main thing I see people travel for is just good ol comraderie (sp). You meet people shooting that you enjoy being with. There are people I shot with in Anniston Alabama several years ago that still call me by name. We are friends. These people are from all over the US. I also enjoy traveling with my friends from here. We just have a good time. We enjoy shooting. The big shoots have the vendors and such, but other than that they are pretty much just another shoot. Bigger payouts, but just another shoot. I hope this makes some sense.

Comment

GoldenEagle,
              I get what your saying.

Thanks for all the helpful insight.

Comment

Working...
              X