PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from Rancho Creek Ranch

Hoyt Man
04-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Well we got back in yesterday evening from Rancho Creek Ranch, which is part of Chambers ranch. When we arrived at the camp house we were met by Mr. Chambers stepson Mr. Barton. There were four people in our group, and three were after rams and I was after a axis or blackbuck, Mr. Barton asked how much did they pay deposit for rams and when told the price quoted from Mr. Chambers was $175. a day two day min. which includes 2 hogs and one ram. Mr. Barton informed us that there are only 7 rams on the whole ranch and he wanted 200 a day since he had to pay $150 apiece for the sheep, I told him that that was bull we had a deal with Mr. Chambers and sent half the deposit money and the hunt was confermed and there was no mention of having to pay more. Well he agreed but wasnt very happy about it. I asked him approx. how many axis were there and how many were in hard horn since I asked Mr. Chambers the same question I wanted to see if I got the same answer. Mr. Chambers told me that there were (several,several) nice axis on the ranch and 90% were in hard horn, also he told me there were several blackbuck and a few fallow. Mr. Barton told me the same thing. When asked how hard the axis were hunted we were told they have not been hunted for about two months and were not spooky at all. After talking it over with my 15 year old son who told me since there were only 7 rams on the ranch he would pay the extra money out of his pocket and hunt for a axis. When asked what time was a good time to go set up we were told whenever you want, so when we got unloaded and ready asked him to take us around and let us find a spot to hunt where we would see some animals. Mr. Barton got his truck and loaded the feeder and told us to get in,he made one pass around the ranch and told us the best place to hunt then dropped us off at our designated spots when asked what time he was going to pick us up he replyed (the ranch is not that big walk back when you want, and if you get lost look for the creek and follow it down you will find the lodge) OK this is really starting to p### me off, there were two kids with us my son 15yrs and my friends son 15yrs we told him someone needs to pick the boys up since it was a evening hunt and our first day there, we were told that they wouldnt get lost its not that big of a place, but if we insisted on getting picked up he would send his son out to get us after dark which was fine with us. After Mr. Barton's son picked us up after dark (he is only 14) he asked who was hunting for axis ,when I told him my son and myself he said you were in the wrong spot there are no axis where we were sitting, and there are only 10 axis on the whole ranch and three are in hard horn. Well I felt like a fool for the third time that day so I asked him about blackbuck since I was told there were some there, his comment(there are several blackbuck here one buck and several does but you wont see them they are very spooky) so I asked him about the fallow and was told there is only one fallow and he is a spike and it is against ranch rules to shoot a spike but there were several bred fallow does and they hope to have a good herd of them in a couple of years. I was then told that the ranch was primarly hunted for hogs and if I wanted a axis or a blackbuck I needed to go to the main ranch or Crystal Creek. Well now im plenty hot, and go to the Mr. Bartons house, but he was not there since his house was only about 50 yards from our camp house we waited up till 12:00 for him to show back up, never did. 6:00 am Justin Barton shows up to take us to a different blind from the night before he said they were better spots than what his dad put us in. Well he dropped me off first and hit the feeder I swear he never turned it off as he left, I later asked my buddy just how did he corn the road and he told me for the whole road till the last person was dropped, well my friend asked him why in the world did you put out so much corn? Why not just in front of where we were hunting? And was told whenever people do exotic hunts to corn most of the road. Well you cant get mad at a 14 year old for doing what he was told to do, from his dad who should have been doing it himself but oh well. Anyway around 8:00am I had a visitor, the ranch tracking dog came and sat down next to me and I could not get him to leave. Oh well it happens I guess. My buddy started walking back to camp around 10:30 and he saw the seven rams feeding on the road about 200 yards from his tripod he was able to get in the brush and stalk up to them and got a shoot a nice hawiian black ram. My son didnt see anything and the other boy did not either. When we got back to camp Justin Barton got the truck and picked up the ram for us and said he was sorry about the dog coming to my stand, I told him it was okay not his fault,then I asked him where his dad was and he told me he was sleepin. Well later that evening we took off again for our spots and this time Justin only fed corn where we were hunting. Three axis does fed around me for about 15 minutes then took off when the ranch pet pigs (half pot belly pigs these are there pets) came in to eat. Another busted hunt. My son saw the same axis does at his stand later that evening and the remaining six rams ran them off to eat, he was going to shoot a ram at first then upgraded to a exotic hunt and was told if he killed a ram after paying for a exotic that he would have to pay a replacement fee $200.00 so he passed up on a shot and later came in, the other boy did not see any rams or hogs that evening.Sat. night Mr. Barton came in to take a shower and I had a talk with him, he then told me that I could shoot a doe and so could my son and if my son did not get a shot at a doe he could shoot a ram and not pay a replacement fee (he did admit that there were not many axis bucks there and fallow at this time). Sunday morning, was cold finally about 7:30 two axis does and three fallow does come out to feed just as soon as they were coming in to a shooting lane they bolted I figured they saw me or smelled me but no, here comes the other ranch tracking dog carring a front leg off the ram my friend shot and the dog buried it under my tripod about 20minutes later here he comes down the road with a hind quarter off the ram (all rams are quartered and fed to the dogs) and takes off down the road he buried it under my sons tripod who got down to chase off the dog and decided to come on in for the day, as he figured hunting would not be any good from then. Back at camp as we were packing up to leave I asked Justin if he could get his dad and he told me that his dad was not there,well ok let me Justin is a great kid and really went out of his way to help us and put us in stands where he was seeing animals anyway he felt bad about the hunting we told him not to worry thats just part of hunting, but he said he knew where the rams were right now and if the two boys would like to shoot one he would take them out there and let them stalk them, I told him not to worry about it we needed to pack and we had a 4 hour drive home, he said he felt bad that we was lied to about all the animals he also told us he called his grandfather Mr. Chambers, and asked him if he told us that there were a lot of axis and black buck out there, and he said yes he did but most people dont mind not shooting anything if they see alot of animals it dont matter what kind of animals they are. So then we decided to let the boys take off they located the rams in a field in the back and stalked them for about a hour and both boys got a ram thanks to Justins help. All in all I will not go back to this particular ranch I felt like I was lied to and got misleading information I was also told that Sean the guide from Chambers main ranch went awol this weekend but dont know if this is true or not.

Longhorn
04-16-2007, 06:54 PM
that doesn't sound very good at all, sorry about your hunt but thanks for the heads up

jake-1024
04-16-2007, 09:52 PM
thanks for the warning. that doesn't sound good at all.

Olphart
04-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Would this be part of the same "Chambers Ranch" that Hoyt Man has a thread report on? Sounds very similar...

Hoyt Man
04-16-2007, 10:36 PM
It is owned by Maurice Chambers since the big ranch was booked we were sent here, next time I will wait for a opening at the big ranch

jake-1024
04-16-2007, 11:00 PM
And at least his son tried to do right, that was pretty admirable of the young man.

Hoyt Man
04-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Yes his Justin did a good job andwas tip well forfor his help

Tuffbroadhead
04-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Sounds like Justin stepped up to batt in a very admiralbe fashion......

Sean is the guide for the Sabinal ranch I believe it is around 800 acres, I think, and Sean will work his butt off to get you on animals and a great guy ..

Boots (cant remember his real name) is the guide on the Crystal creek ranch, it is two pastures around 700 acres a peice and has a ton of critters, Boots will also work his butt off to get you one animals

From the way you describe it, you were on the small 300 acre place, I have never been there and cannot commet of the guide, sorry for the hassle you had..

Dale

Hoyt Man
04-18-2007, 07:16 PM
Yes Justin really stepped up, he also told me that the main ranch and crystal creek are better places to hunt.

rbridges00
04-19-2007, 11:26 AM
If Mr. Chambers had lied to me about any of his properties (or anything in general), I wouldn't return to any of his properties. I can't stand a liar!!!!

The part about not being interested in shooting is a bunch of BS... If I didn't care about shooting, I'd put a tripod in my back yard and watch the squirrels. I pay money to have an opportunity to shoot what I've paid for. If I blow it, that's my fault.

Scratch Chambers off my list of places to look at.

organpiercer
04-19-2007, 06:58 PM
we pay darn good money to hunt what is advertised to us. not just anything.
sounds like they get alot of kids or rookies if they'll shoot anything.

WyoHunter
04-20-2007, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the report. I won't be considering this operation when I book my next hunt.

Hoyt Man
04-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Although this is a part of the Chambers Ranch and I have not been there and have heard good things about it and Crystal Creek IMO Rancho Creek was a bad experience for me

Sean
04-21-2007, 01:22 AM
Sorry about the bad experiance.3 downed animals isnt that bad of a hunt on a day lease I guess.
Just for my own satisfaction the Sean you guys speak of isnt me;) .

jyoung
04-22-2007, 12:37 PM
I was also told that Sean the guide from Chambers main ranch went awol this weekend but dont know if this is true or not.

While I have never been to this ranch I have been to the main ranch several times and never had a bad experience on that ranch. Sean does not even guide on this ranch he only guides on the main ranch and periodically on Crystal Creek. So how can he be awol from a place that he doesn't even guide on :)

But even if he was gone from the main ranch I think people are allowed to take some time off without having to hear crap about it.

If you want PM me and I will send you Sean's phone number so you can speak to him about it.

Brotherbill
04-22-2007, 04:31 PM
Sean is a great guide straight fullword with what he says he has and has NOTHING to do with that ranch.:mad:

trykonroye
04-22-2007, 04:35 PM
That sounds horrible! My dad and I were looking at chambers b/c of there axis hunt price but not anymore. thanks for the heads up.

Brotherbill
04-22-2007, 07:34 PM
That sounds horrible! My dad and I were looking at chambers b/c of there axis hunt price but not anymore. thanks for the heads up.

Don't let this discourage you on going to the other ranches Cristal Creek etc. The one in Sabinal is run by Sean.I can grantee you wont be disappointed

abouch1213
04-23-2007, 03:55 AM
Hey Hoyt Man
wow you brought back memories. Did you have to clean the Bathroom and Shower? We had to go to town and by some supplies to do that before we even were able to hunt!!!!
We went there 2 years ago and had the same experience. We were lied to by Mr. Chambers and also by the person who runs that ranch.
He told us that there are 60-100 BIG Axis on that ranch. WHATEVER! We only saw 3(2 in Velvet) and one small 2x2. He would feed them around the house and since you weren't aloud to hunt them there, they were save.
We actually had booked for his main ranch and his wife sent us to this ranch.
What a dissapointment. I can't believe Chambers is in business that long. We had sent him a letter to let him know about the situation there, but never got a response. We weren't looking for anything for free, but it would have been nice to receive some kinda of note. But nothing. Oh well. Move on and try to find a good ranch with HONEST people.
We did hunt with Sean on an other ranch and he is honest and will work his b*** off to help you succeed. Unfortunately he works for the Chambers so we decided not to go back!:mad:

rbridges00
04-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Don't let this discourage you on going to the other ranches Cristal Creek etc. The one in Sabinal is run by Sean.I can grantee you wont be disappointed

Does Mr. Chambers own/run the other ranches???

If so, then I won't do business with a known liar, I don't care how good his 'other ranches' are.:mad:

diamondrules
04-23-2007, 11:03 AM
I have been to the main ranch several times also...either sean or maurice was the guide each time and they both worked there arses off to get us on animals. They have never lied to me in anyway and if I didnt get anything it was my fault. I too have seans cell if you would like to call him and complain. He has something to do with all the ranches and I bet he does not know how Mr. Barton is doing. I am sorry you had a bad experience but I feel that Mr. Chambers is an outstanding man and runs a good operation.

jyoung
04-23-2007, 11:31 AM
He has something to do with all the ranches and I bet he does not know how Mr. Barton is doing.

I think you are mistaken there. I just talked to him about it and he only guides on Crystal Creek sometimes and on the Main ranch.

DJM
04-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Does Mr. Chambers own/run the other ranches???

If so, then I won't do business with a known liar, I don't care how good his 'other ranches' are.:mad:

How is he a known liar?Just because somebody has a bad trip doesn't mean the place is bad.There are ALWAYS two sides to the story.There is not a single outfitter in the world that has 100% satisfied clients/hunters.

DJ

Bluesman
04-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Rancho Creek is a separate piece of property from the main Chambers Ranch. Both ranches are East of Sabinal. THEY ARE SEPERATE PROPERTIES AND ARE MANAGED AS SUCH.
Wade Barton lives at and “operates” the Rancho Creek property. Wade is Maurice Chamber’s stepson. Given Wade’s demeanor it seems to me that if Maurice didn’t throw some business at Rancho Creek it probably wouldn’t be available to discuss. Blood may be thicker than water.
I’ve hunted both and have been successful at both. And, I’ve never been miss-led by anyone from Chambers in any way. I think M. Chambers has been doing this for 25 or so years.

Rating the main Chambers ranch and Crystal Creek is easy…….GO!

Rancho Creek? Demand up to date fees, rules, and replacement fees in writing from Maurice Chambers personally. It’s only 300 acres and at least 1/3 is open pasture. That leaves little to figure out and I’d say 2 hunters per trip is plenty. I’d go back but only because I figured it out and there are some large boars on the place. It’s just OK and definitely has lots of room for improvement. Not a good impression for beginners.
A trip to Rancho Creek is a disappointment after having hunted at the other Chambers operations. That’s not to say you can’t have a successful trip.

abouch1213
04-23-2007, 06:33 PM
I am just dissapointed that he never mentioned that he booked us for Rancho Creek. When we booked it was for his Main Ranch. Oh well you learn out of your mistakes.

jyoung
04-23-2007, 08:13 PM
Alan, are you the same guy from Vegas named Alan, that's buddies killed a nice Fallow and pretty good Black Buck and you forgot to buy your whitetail tag when that 130-150" buck walked out?

I or no one is in no way sticking up for Wade, but I wouldn't go as far as calling Maurice a liar especially when he is so well respected in the Texas Bowhunting community. I have know Maurice for the better part of three years and hunt on his main ranch about 5 or 6 times a year. Never once has he ever lied to me or anyone I have brought with me. I think it is just a case of where Wade runs the ranch and Maurice just helps him out with booking hunts, not that Maurice has anything else to do with it or any other knowledge other than what Wade tells him.

abouch1213
04-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Like I said before if Mr.Chambers know's how Wade runs the ranch, he shouldn't send people there to avoid these remarks. I was booked with him and not with Wade. Also that Buck was nowhere close to 130 Class Buck. Maybe 120 at the most!

jyoung
04-23-2007, 09:14 PM
OK, just checking, Andy :).

At least I got your name right the second time, but you knew who I was talking about.

abouch1213
04-23-2007, 09:52 PM
absolutely. Did you talk to Sean by any chance?

DOUBLE R
04-24-2007, 09:08 AM
me and three of my buddies will be at chambers may 4,5 and 6th, how do you know where you will end up we have been told we will be on the main ranch with sean for a guide but i guess we won't know that until we get there from reading some of these post. we have paid for the exotic package and 2 of us really would like oppurtunities at axis and 2 want black buck but if we get stuck on the small place it don't sound like we will get those oppurtunnities. if any one knows please let me know how to make sure we get the main ranch.

abouch1213
04-24-2007, 09:32 AM
I would try to contact Mr.Chambers and really make sure that you are not going to be on Wade's Ranch. That's the only way I guess.

jyoung
04-24-2007, 10:40 AM
me and three of my buddies will be at chambers may 4,5 and 6th, how do you know where you will end up we have been told we will be on the main ranch with sean for a guide but i guess we won't know that until we get there from reading some of these post. we have paid for the exotic package and 2 of us really would like oppurtunities at axis and 2 want black buck but if we get stuck on the small place it don't sound like we will get those oppurtunnities. if any one knows please let me know how to make sure we get the main ranch.

If you specifically asked for the main ranch, then you will be on the main ranch. If you have any questions call Sean, his number is the cell phone listed on the website.

jyoung
04-24-2007, 10:42 AM
absolutely. Did you talk to Sean by any chance?

Only about 10 times this week :)

We have a hunt scheduled for June. Will be the 4th time since January that we have hunted there so I talk to him a lot to see what the animals are doing and just to see how others have scored.

Bluesman
04-24-2007, 12:15 PM

Those Axis deer will move all day long. If you have the patience and can sit still your odds will go up.

DJM
04-24-2007, 01:57 PM
We have a hunt scheduled for June.

Just rub it in why don't ya!!:D

Hi Jeff!!!!

DJ

jyoung
04-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Just rub it in why don't ya!!:D

Hi Jeff!!!!

DJ

Sorry DJ. You know how I am :)

lg140
04-24-2007, 06:57 PM
I have known Maurice for about 12 yrs and lived with him and guided for him for many years. I did exactly what Sean does now, and lieing to a hunter is not something that would be taking lightly by Maurice or Jaime. So it's hard for me to believe that this would have been done by either of the two. In my personal opinion you will never meet a better person in your life. Maurice leads a life that many should and could only wish to live.

I was actually supposed to be there and guide while Sean was out of the state. But could'nt get away from the fire station do to trade pay backs. So I know personally that Sean could have not been awol when everyone knew he was going to be out of the state.

But yes, the animals at Rancho Creek can't compare to the main ranch or Cystal Creek. In the future I would be sure and make sure your at the main ranch, if that is were you wont to be. But don't let this stop you from hunting some of the other ranches that Maurice has, because I'm sure you wont be disappointed.

jyoung
04-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Landon, we have got to get together some time :)

lg140
04-24-2007, 07:14 PM
Anytime

I might just have to show up in June and shoot the @#$! and maybe hunt with ya'll.

Chris
04-24-2007, 09:31 PM
As long as you don't get that Landon guy as a guide you will be fine! :):):)

rbridges00
04-25-2007, 08:57 AM
How is he a known liar?Just because somebody has a bad trip doesn't mean the place is bad.There are ALWAYS two sides to the story.There is not a single outfitter in the world that has 100% satisfied clients/hunters.
DJ

You're right, I should not have called him a "known liar". There are two sides, I wish he'd come on here and tell us his side.

When I hear more than one person express the same experience, I tend the figure there's a pattern. Comments like, "most people dont mind not shooting anything if they see alot of animals it dont matter what kind of animals they are" and telling folks there are more quality animals on the place than there are, and telling them they'll be hunting one ranch but when they show up they are moved to a different one, etc., etc., etc... make me wander.

I don't have a lot of money, so when I spend money on a hunt, I expect an opportunity. I do not expect to kill everytime, but I do expect to at least see the animals advertised. If I blow it, that's hunting.

Maybe it's just me, but hunting prices are getting out of hand, and there are far too many ranches out there looking to capitalize for the quick buck. I choose not to play where there is doubt. And until I'm convinced otherwise, I have doubt about the Chamber's operation.

lg140
04-25-2007, 01:30 PM
I can grant you that if you go and hunt with Maurice there wont be any doubt's in your mind. Also, do you really think that a man that has made a living his whole life doing this would have made it this long as a liar? NO
Your not always going to please every hunter and anyone who has every guided or run hunts will agree on this. There will always be a chance on someone leaving mad wether it's because the dogs did'nt find there animal and the still had to pay, or you would'nt let them hunt behind the house in the no hunting, or you would'nt let them shoot out of the pick-up at a wounded animal, or you caught them corning animal's with vechicles and then jumping out and shooting them. The list goes on and on but you don't see the ranch owner taking it out on every other hunter. Because, that would be unfair to the hunter's who would never do these things. So I would suggest that you don't take all your info from one bad comment when you don't really know what happened. But I can justify for hundreds of happy hunter's from all over the United States who would never day hunt another ranch but Maurice's. Thanks, Landon