PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln Ranch

organpiercer
10-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Anyone hunted here yet?

ruthunter
10-30-2006, 11:36 AM
I did two years ago and saw a fair amount of game. I'm booked this year for 12/11 - 12/15. When are you going?

eastexbowman
11-11-2006, 07:31 PM
I hunted javelina on the lincoln ranch several years ago and saw lots of really good bucks while hunting. They also had an aerial survey on video that we g watched. The video had enough mature deer on it to get me excited. That has been a few years ago, but maybe they have a new survey that they can send you.

m'gobo
11-12-2006, 07:06 AM
I don't think I have heard of them. Where are they located at?

FIREMAN
11-12-2006, 09:20 AM
We are going there tomorrow and stay until friday,I will let you know when we get back how it was.Maybe the weather will stay cool and the deer will move!!

FIREMAN
11-18-2006, 11:43 AM
Well, we are back and we had a great time. The ranch manager Chris Treiber was great and did an excellent job of making our stay a good one. We saw plenty of game and I killed the largest deer I have ever seen. He was considered a management deer by ranch standards, a slick 8 over 4 1/2 years old. My deer weighed 234 lbs live weight and 190 lbs. dressed. Horns were 16 ins. outside and heavy mass. They do not have corn feeders but are feeding protein. The last morning we hunted I had 15 deer, all bucks from 10 points to fork horn standing less than 20 yards from my Double Bull blind.It was a great trip and would go again. If you go try to hunt away from the open areas primarily in the brush or holding areas where the deer stage before dark and bring plenty of corn to hold them there.I will try and post pictures of the deer when I get them.

stxhunter
11-18-2006, 02:45 PM
Wow, congrats!! I have heard about the place and was thinking about going, this sounds pretty good. Cant wait to see some pics

huntquest
11-18-2006, 07:33 PM
Lets see some pics!!!

m'gobo
11-18-2006, 08:10 PM
congrats fireman.

skeeter
11-18-2006, 08:12 PM
I NEED PICS!!!

FIREMAN
11-19-2006, 02:46 AM
Guys, I will post as soon as I can, I had to come back to work the next day after getting home and it has been a whirl wind trip anyway. The deer really does not score very well, maybe 115 but the body size more than makes up for it. Sorry for the delay.

ruthunter
11-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Fireman,

Congratulations! I'm hunting there in December. After you killed your deer, did you see anything larger?

eastexbowman
11-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Was that deer a 500 dollar management deer?

Laguna
11-21-2006, 09:29 AM
Congrats on the success! I think Lincoln is a great So Texas opportunity for the bowhunter. Tough, but good numbers of animals, if you do it right. Looking forward to the story with pix.

Robin Hoodlum
11-21-2006, 06:30 PM
Was hunting there during the same period as FIREMAN, and have great pix of his kill. Awesome deer, largest I've ever seen in Texas...in person. I was there for 3 days and saw multiple deer every time I went out. 3 Bucks at 30 yards, 1 being the nicest deer I've ever had in bow range...I'm guessing 120 Class at 3 1/2 years. Just wasn't prepared to pay the additional $500 to take him. Also saw camera footage from another hunter there at the same time of a 140-150 class buck in his pasture. He was looking for 160 or better! I asked him to swap pastures...we both had a good laugh...though I was serious!! Lincoln Ranch carries high marks in my book. Great facility and the opportunity at a deer that many are paying $5000-$6500 to get a shot at at surrounding ranches. I'll try and host some pix of FIRMANS kill if I can figure it out.

Blind Squirrel
11-22-2006, 12:37 PM
wow! I can't wait to see the pics!

FIREMAN
11-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Hey Robin, I still do not have my pictures so if you can please post the one's you have and I will follow with the story.As I said before this is a great ranch with a lot of potential.I believe corn feeders would help draw the deer from the Culpepper Ranch and other surrounding ranch's that do suppliment with corn.I know that would be an added expense and the owner may not be ready to spend that kind of money yet, and it might run the price up also.I look forward to my next trip there.I did not see a bigger deer after I shot my deer and no he was not a 500.00 management deer.He was what the foreman called a slick 8 4 1/2 yrs.old or older therefore a legal management buck. I will take all of these I can get.

Rattler
11-24-2006, 10:44 AM
Just lookin at the website. I might have to try this place out.

ace44
11-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Deerslayer and I are leaving first thing in the morning going to the Lincoln ranch I will post LDP's and recap when we get back .:D

Keith
11-25-2006, 07:23 PM
Fireman or Robin, e-mail your pictures and I'll post them if you can't figure out how to post them.

Congratulations on your buck. I've been to the Lincoln and talked with the owners about running their hunting operation about 10 years ago, but we didn't work out a deal. It is a very nice place.

Heath
11-25-2006, 11:53 PM
Deerslayer and I are leaving first thing in the morning going to the Lincoln ranch I will post LDP's and recap when we get back .:D

Good luck on your hunt. The Lincoln and Brusy Hill are next up on my day lease wish list.

Keith
11-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Here are some pictures Chris sent me to post.

huntquest
11-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Thats a nice buck, congrats!

FIREMAN
11-29-2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks Chris and Keith for the pictures. As you can see,his horns are not so big but the size of the deer more than makes up for it.I mainly hunt for the meat because its the only red meat that my wife can eat.I am sure hoping for another hunt, and maybe this season if santa comes thru with the cash.
Thanks again for posting the pictures guys.

Robin Hoodlum
11-29-2006, 06:02 PM
My pleasure, I enjoyed just sharing the experience. As I stated before I really feel like the Lincoln Ranch is one of the best for the money when it comes to South Texas Day Hunts. So much so, that I've been working on the wife to go back in Jan 07. Merry Christmas to me!:D

Canoe1
11-30-2006, 07:56 AM
Now, fess up, those are the rattlin' horns on a horse.

ruthunter
11-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Fireman,

Great deer! Wish me luck on the Lincoln 12/11 - 12/15!

BIG D
11-30-2006, 01:26 PM
Good looking old buck there. Congrats

FIREMAN
11-30-2006, 04:28 PM
Hey canoe,Hows married life?Has she let you go hunting yet?Actually thought that he might be a shetland pony.
Ruthunter,best of luck and if you can get the pasture where the pipeline cross's the county to the left from the camp,go to the next road to the left and when you get to the pond on the right,there is a sendero just before the pond to the right.Go to the end of the sendero (about 75 yds) and put your ground blind up there and corn the heck out of it and just wait.I had 15 deer the last morning of our hunt less than 20 yds from my stand. They were eating corn that morning before I could get set up in my blind.(in the dark of course).Best wishes on a great hunt and tell Chris a special hello from me.

FIREMAN
11-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Ruthunter, that would be county road and also the 15 deer were all bucks,4-10 points, 4-8points, 2-9points one with a drop and several smaller bucks. What a thrill for a REDNECK from Conroe,Texas.

ruthunter
11-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Fireman,

Thanks for the scouting advice! I will let you know how I do. I will be brushing in the ground blind for about 2 hours and corning it up! I will also accept one of the tri-pods to use and take the pressure of of the ground blind some and corn it up also. Thanks!

bdog14
12-07-2006, 12:01 PM
where were these deer in Oct.?

FIREMAN
12-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Hey Ruthunter, are you back yet? Need some update on the ranch because my lovely bride bought me a hunt Jan. 7-10 for Christmas. Please shed some light on what has happened since mid Dec.

WyoHunter
12-15-2006, 10:36 PM
FIREMAN.... Congrats on your lovely bride! You sure know how to pick 'em!

ruthunter
12-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Fireman,

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been swamped at work since I've been back. I harvested a small doe and a 5 point that I thought was a management buck, but had to pay a $500.00 panalty fee for the harvest. I arrowed a 125 - 135, but did not hit any vitals as Chris and I were unsuccessful in tracking it. Yes, a big one did get away! I also saw a 120 class deer along with numerous small bucks and does. I hunted the Root Plow Pasture by setting up a ground blind and tri-pod. I harvested the doe out of the tri-pod at 20 yards and the 5 point out of the ground blind at 15 yards. I arrowed the 125 - 135 out of the ground blind. I hunted out of the ground blind mostly due to the fact that I seem to get busted too often from a tri-pod. I hope that your next hunt on the Lincoln is successful as the previous hunt. Stay in touch and let me know. Thanks!

FIREMAN
12-25-2006, 08:23 PM
Hey Ruthunter,
Glad to hear from you,sorry about the penalty! I will be leaving Sun.the 7 of Jan. and hope the weather is not to bad.(wet).I will let you know when I get back how the trip went.

FIREMAN
01-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Well,we went to the ranch and saw a lot of mud and water but we also saw
several deer. I shot hogzilla but did not find him and several other hogs and a coyote were shot. My room mate saw a 160 class 10 point 20 inches wide and shot over his back.He was sick over not getting that deer, but I was fortunate, because in shooting over that 10 point the doe behind him took one for the team in the spine and came home with me.Thank you Darren for helping provide for my family.As before Chris, the ranch manage made our stay a plesant one.He has said that he will be back next year to run the hunting operation.I look forward to being there next year and have a new stand location already picked out.Happy hunting all!!!!!

FIREMAN!!!!!

ruthunter
01-12-2007, 07:06 AM
Fireman,

Thanks for the report. I'm working 60 hrs a week right now and don't have much time to write. Drop me an e-mail at rsebesta@ogwbl.com. I'm planning another trip back to the Lincoln this comming December. We'll talk later.

BigJoe
08-05-2007, 07:14 PM
FIREMAN,

Can you give my buddy and I some advise. Im not used to hunting NOT being able to look over feeders! Do they corn the senderos..and you just put a blind along the edge hoping for one to cross or what??? Can you explain a little about how it works there...we are going this October 2007.