PDA

View Full Version : Processing at home (with pics)

Rudey
10-27-2006, 05:51 PM
This was copied/pasted directly from a thread I started on the old forum in January 2005. Hope someone can get some use from it!

I don't remember who was asking earlier this week about doing their own processing at home (Wisecountybuck, et al?!) but I did some last night and took some pics to give you a general idea of what I do. Bear in mind that this is the way I do it, not necessarily the way everybody does it (see my signature :) ).

Start with a cooler of meat.

Prepare your table with the necessary implements of destruction.

I started on one of the hams. This ham I went through and separated the muscles to cut into steaks. It really very simple if you just take your time. Just go through the ham, finding the seams between the different muscles.

Follow the seams and you'll end up separating a large, single muscle from the ham.

Keep doing this, separating the large muscles from each other...

...until you end up with bare bones...

...and a bowl of trimmings for chili grind.

There are smaller muscles in the hams that aren't suitable for steaks, and those are the ones that end up being chopped for chili grind.

Then, all you do is clean up the individual muscles (trimming silver skin, sinew, etc) and chop them into whatever thickness steaks you want.

Until you end up with a tub of steaks...

...and a bowl of trimmings.

The next ham I decided not to steak out. Instead, I cut to the bone and fileted all the muscles together off the bone until they came off as a group. I cleaned these up, seasoned them, then rolled and tied them into a rolled roast for future use in a King Ranch Casserole (http://www.txbeef.org/recipe.php3?980199740).

My next was to clean up the backstraps by removing any silver skin (if you can filet a fish, you will have zero problems with this).

Until you're left with nothing but good, clean backstraps! These, I froze whole to use later as stuffed backstraps, bacon wrapped medallions, or whatever. You maintain some versatility by freezing them whole. If you want fried backstrap, just thaw, slice, and cook.

I know these aren't the greatest instructions in the world, but I hope they'll at least give you some idea of how to get started doing your own processing at home. It doesn't take up near as much room as some people think, huh? I do it right at the kitchen table in sight of the TV, near the refrigerator with the cold beer in it. Just take your time, don't rush, and you'll end up with some nice packages of meat that you know are yours, you know were taken care of properly, and you can be proud that you did the entire process yourself.

Hope this helps.

Rudey

Rsatt
10-27-2006, 06:06 PM

"I do it right at the kitchen table in sight of the TV, near the refrigerator with the cold beer in it"

I like the way you think. Rudey..:)

Thanks

TXOUTLAW
10-28-2006, 12:05 AM
great post, bet will help out a lot of folks

Russ81
10-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Next Week: Sausage; natures convertor of leftover meats to edible wonders:D

Snapper
10-30-2006, 08:44 PM
Great post, Thanks!

Burnadell
10-30-2006, 09:27 PM
Thanks, Rudey, very helpful, even though that is just YOUR opinion! jk :D :D :D

Howard
10-31-2006, 10:04 AM
very nice.....nothing like the pride and greatness of doing your own. Saves a ton of money as well and you know how you meat has been taken care of.

a little spin through the tendorizer will turn the even the oldest bucks ham steaks into the best chicken fried steaks!:eek:

Great post, thanks for sharing!

rtarcher
11-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Why do I read this stuff when I am hungry? Wait....Does reading this make
me hungry? What a conundrum! Guess I need some meat for the freezer.
Thanks, Rudey, for feeding my appetite!

Todd

Legdog
11-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Outstanding.

DRow
12-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Thats what im talkin bout

Chew
12-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks Rudy!

Flint knapper
12-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Have you guys ever tried removing the conective tissue from the top of the backstrap by felaying it like you would remove the skin of a fish from a felay?

It takes a really good flexable felay knife to seperate the fissa from the meat, but it sure works great!

chrisk
01-06-2007, 02:36 PM
I think doing it yourself is the only way to make it feasable to eat and deer hunt. I've had one deer processed in the past, I then relized the reason that I have been doing it myself. I don't get to make summer sausage cause I ain't got a smoker but I usually make jerky,ground meat, steaks and roast out of the deer that I kill. "Backstrap fever"
Chris Kiefner

bowsticker
01-11-2007, 12:09 AM
thanks for sharing

GWHunter
01-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks for sharing...everybody has got their own way to do it

justletmein
01-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Thanks for taking the time for the detailed pics and info. This is a good post.

Matt2006Martin
01-22-2007, 10:03 PM
Hey that looks so sweet ! Very nice job...thx for info

Dusty Britches
01-23-2007, 08:35 AM
If you keep the cuts you are not working on in the fridge or on ice, when you pull it off, the silver skin and any fat is much easier to remove.

This is a great post and sure makes me with my house was bigger - or at least the kitchen so that I could do my own.

phrozenintreestand
03-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Nice Pics...

phrozenintreestand
03-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Great Vids, excellent quality, Got any Deer Processing Vids?

Smart
12-18-2007, 05:39 PM
ttt

JTS
12-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Smart, thanks for bumping this up.... :D

The next ham I decided not to steak out. Instead, I cut to the bone and fileted all the muscles together off the bone until they came off as a group. I cleaned these up, seasoned them, then rolled and tied them into a rolled roast for future use in a King Ranch Casserole (http://www.txbeef.org/recipe.php3?980199740). Rudey, you killed me today at work when I saw this recipe, so I made it tonight of course. Mine is on it's last 20 minute leg in the oven but I already sampled the mixture. It looks like "puke" but who cares when it taste really good. LOL :)

Ugly food **** below from camera phone...

Rudey
12-20-2007, 10:23 AM
That is some tasty stuff, I tell ya!!