PDA

View Full Version : Small, Cheap, portable Camera Mount!

Howard
10-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Here is a camera mount I have been using last couple years. It is actually not all a do it yourself type project but rather a take two things and combine to one.

The clamp comes from www.trophytools.com You could also make your own out of a heavy duty spring loaded clamp(dont want flimsy junk holding your camera high in a tree)

The clamp works ok by it self but you are very limited to moveing or panning around. It is nearly impossible to move the camera once all set in place.

I went to Wal-Mart and purchased this tiny tripod by the camera section. The tripod was like 8 or 10 bucks and works great for low to the ground self LPDs. I actually filmed off of it many times last yr in ground blinds but the legs get very frail when fully extended and are easy to bend the tiny metal. I many purchased it for the tripod head anyway. I purchased a female coupling from the local hardware store and screwed it to the trophy tool clamp. I then screwed a bolt into the upper side of the couple and ground the head off making it round like the tripod head. The head will now attach to the clamp and you can move the tripod in ease left to right and up and down. May not be as smooth as a "fluid head" whatever they are:) but it works very smoothly and quietly. I have used this setup high in the air in my tree lounge and love it. Works well on limbs, 2*4's or anywhere you have something to clamp to. I tried it once on a screw in bow hanger but didnt trust just it on that small of sqaure tubing.

Here are a few pictures.... it all fits in same little camera bag as well.

Bowhuntamistad
10-29-2006, 03:48 PM
Smashing idea! And to think I wanted to order one of those highly priced mounts.

Rattler
10-29-2006, 05:18 PM
Here is mine that I made: http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195

Ryan
10-30-2006, 05:23 PM
This mount works great but dont leave it in your buddys stand because he may just keep it and tell you he doesnt know where it is.

Howard
10-31-2006, 10:08 AM
If I would have had it in the tree with me Sunday evening I probably would have taken out that spike.....Wasnt going to shoot another deer this year without camera rolling. Give it back!......Please!

huntingfanatic
11-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Howard,

Here is the problem I ran into. Maybe you have some suggestions. I had the same exact tripod you had in my old camera bag. The problem is that you still need the trophytool or at least the top black part to make your idea work with another clamp. Is there somewhere you can get that same part. Thanks

NateYJ
11-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Nice camera mount thanks for sharing!!!

Bowhuntamistad
11-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Just finished one. Total cost was about $18 and labor, if I hadn't have had to run across town to buy hardware and run errands, was about half an hour. Its really sturdy and holds great. The camera doesn't move or shake at all.

Costs
clamp-$1 at the flea market
hardware-$1 at True Value
tripod-$14.24 at Wally World

Howard,
Hope you don't mind me using your idea.

Huntingfanatic,
I didn't use that part you are talking about. Check out the pics so you can see what I mean. The most expensive part was the tripod so if you already have one, then you have it ma

Howard
11-14-2006, 10:16 AM
huntinfanatic- I already had the super clamp but didnt like the fact that it was not set up to pan right or left or up and down. To move the camera you would have to losen the round jam nut and reposition the camera or move the entire clamp around.

You can do like bowhuntamistad did and just use a bolt, however you would still not have the flexibililty that that little ball joint type piece gives you. To answer your question- No I dont know if/where you can get just that piece. I would almost bet if you call that guy on the trophytools.com site he would sell you just that piece maybe. Super nice guy!

Bowhuntamistad
11-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Howard,
Mine pans just fine. I can move it letf or right, up and down smoothly.

Howard
11-14-2006, 12:05 PM
I understand yours pans just fine, but without the ball type swivel there are places(limbs, stands, 2*4 ect...that yours will not work on as well.

Dont get me wrong- yours looks great and saves the 40 bucks on the trophy clamp. I am not saying mine is better:) or anything like that.

All I am saying is without the ball type swivel there are instances that you will not have the travel. For example, if you clamp your clamp on a stand that requires the clamp to be straight down instead of sideways like in your picture above, you will have to swivel the tripod head all the way forward to get the camera pointed forward. If the clamp is at a 90 degree angle wiht a board it is clamped on or square tubing, you will not have any more downward angle to pan downward any more. However with the ball joint swivel I can clamp on to a board or angle with my clamp facing straight down and still have the camer angle dead centered will full up and down adjustments on the tripod head. No big deal unlesss that is only place you have to clamp and there are no limbs around.

Howard
11-14-2006, 12:20 PM
maybe a picture will show better what I am saying. Again, nothing wrong with yours....If I didnt have the clamp I would have made one just like it.

if all you had to mount to was something straight down like this, then here is what mine would look like. See how the ball joint puts the tripod head still in top dead center. I can go up down and left to right.

now with one like yours, this would be the only way I could see you getting into this position. Notice how I left the ball joint straight to imitate the bolt. The tripod head is maxed all the way out and there is no way to pan the camera left to right. It looks like it will still go left to right but if you loosen the knob for left to right adjustment, the camera will not go left to right but only tilt over left or tilt over right.

that is what I was trying to say above, maybe pictures will help. Again, please dont think I am knocking yours in any way....just trying to show what the other guy above you was asking me about.

Bowhuntamistad
11-14-2006, 12:37 PM
Got it.:) Understood completely. Sorry about that. I thought you meant panning of the camera, not being able to clamp and have movement. Thats pretty cool how you can have yours clamped like that and still film.

the kidd
06-23-2007, 07:12 PM
aye man thats the same cam i have just give me your battery!!!!

trailboss
06-23-2007, 10:38 PM
Here's another idea a little more heavy duty for bigger cameras.

Trailboss

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4003

jettech17
07-05-2007, 01:51 PM
here is some info from another thread on tbh.

Giotto Ball head- Between $10.00 and $14.00 depending on where you get it. I got mine on ebay for 14.00 but found it later for 10.00 on www.adorama.com

put "camera mount" in a search and it was from the end of 2006..the gentleman shows the whole build...nice and cheap also