brushy hill trophy bow hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brushy hill trophy bow hunting

Has any one hunted there? If so what should I expect if I book a hunt?

Brushy Hill

We just came back from Brushy Hill. We saw a ton of smaller deer but no shooters with in range. The acorns are about all gone and the deer are starting to hit the corn. We hunted the River West Pasture. Saw several hogs and a ton of coons also. Will definitely go back but I would like to go during the rut. I think it is well worth the money. They are just good old plain folks. It is not a gimmee hunt. They give you a pasture and the rest is up to you. Most effective stand that worked best was 10' tri pods put back in the brush. The deer are very suspicious of anything that looks like a ground blind. Hang on stands that can be leveled work good too in the oaks. But they are very crooked and you will need a Game Tamer type stand.

Comment

brushy hill

Thanks for the info How does he regulate what the hunter can shoot.
      Does he let you shot does buck with a certian amount of points or what?
      I really want to go right after christmas. I guess the rut is over by then.

Comment

Brushy Hill BowHunting

1 Buck (if you hunt for more than 4 days you can take 2 bucks)
        No point restriction this year. But, it must be 14" inside spread. If not it's a $500 penalty. No exceptions.

1 Doe
        1 Turkey if in season
        Hogs
        Predators

Rusty says their rut is usually first week of December but those that dont breed then usually breed around the first of January. He says it pretty good then to. Saw a lot of late babies out there so late December or early January might work. We hunted the River West Pasture if it gets wet you better have a good 4 X 4.

Comment

I went there a few weeks back and my buddy and I were disapointed. The owner didn't have us sign release forms, the cabins were really bad, rat feces on the floors and maggots in the dirty fry pans. They did a feed route in the evenings but the owner didnt say anything about the mornings. Another hunter told us to hunt the feeders in the mornings. We didn't see much or have any shots but another hunter got a 10 pt while we were there. Other hunters we spoke to hadn't seen much.

Comment

Is anyone going to be hunt at Brushy Hill around December 9, 10, 11 and the 12? I'm planning on going down there on these dates.

Comment

Brushy Hills

I am heading out there Thanksgiving and hunting until Sunday.

We are hunting the Well Rig(?).

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I believe that is the pasture i will be hunting when I go. I have never been on that pasture but have had some friends that hunted it and have seen some very big deer. Let me know how you do and any tip you can pass on would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

what are the prices to hunt this place

Comment

brushy hills

I have hunted Brushy Hills multple times stayed in a different cabin each time and I have no complaints. I love the place Rusty is a great help and they are real relaxed.
                    deer hunts:
                    $115/day

hogs and turkeys are:
                    (not during deerseason)
                    $60/day

Comment

I love the ranch. Have hunted it mainly for hogs in the off season, but have been on a couple of deer hunts as well. Pete is the most laid back ranch owner I know.

Comment

I recently had a bad experience at this ranch. PM me if you are planning on going, and would like details.

Comment

Just hunted there in Dec. We hunted the River west pasture, which cost us extra, and although we saw lots of deer shooters were **** slim, with only 4 sighted between 3 people in 6 days of hunting. We were hunting tripods 20 to 25 yards off the roud with good cover and extensive scent control, so we were doing things right. Tha place is poorly managed by not allowing any does to be taken and they are abundant. Saw WAY too many bucks with out brow tines.

Comment

I would first like to say hi to everyone. I have been reading your info for a couple years now and have recieved a lot of great info and decided I needed to sign in so I could try and help others with some info. I have hunted Brushy hill "hog heaven" for the past nine or ten years with over a 100 days of hunting and have literally walked throughout the entire ranch. Pete is a great guy, maybe a little to good. The ranch in my and my entire hunting partys opinion has been pounded with hunters over the last four or five years. The quality of bucks has dropped unbelievable compared to the first few years. Probably because of pressure. There are a few good bucks and you always have a chance but you better have your A game ready. Again just my opinion but I am very leery of Rusty the caretaker. He hunts the Ranches and I have seen him corn areas where he plans to hunt and if he knows where you are Ive seen him go down the road and pound the corn route away from you. I dont think he should be hunting in there when Pete has hunters in. He definitely knows where the deer have been seen and if you can find his blinds that would be a good spot. I don't quite get Petes thinking not shooting mature bucks under 14 inches. I stress mature because he has a bunch of 3 1/2 or older 12 inch bucks running around doing the breeding. Five years ago I shot a 13 inch 10pt that scored 136 and he came and took pictures of it and said it was a great buck. At any rate I feel He is going to have to do some changing of the way things are run soon or he is going to see a drastic decline in his hunters. When I we left this year I was sick as most of our group will not go back. If anyone can help I am aggressively looking for another place to go as we love hunting Texas. Thanks and keep up the great posts.

Comment

3 of us hunted the river west (the best pasture and more$$) for 7 days, in the rut. We used tri pods 20 to 30 yrd. off the feed road. We each saw ove 100 deer in that week. 2 or 3 bucks to 1 doe. 2 of us saw a true shooter (the same deer) 1 time. The ranch needs a lot of work. We could not shoot does because they lost a lot of fawn that spring. We saw a lot of does that are so old they will not drop a healthy fawn if at all. We saw so many bad racks and racks with no brows. So all the old does and bad racks are eating all the protein, I can't amagine how bad this ranch will get. Also it is a fact that they drive by you and then spred corn. We could hear the corn spreder before and after are location.
                              Rusty and his friends hunt a lot. He is not a ranch manager, just a guy that fills feeders and hunts.
                              It is sad to say these things about this ranch, but I have to, I don't have any good thing to say.

Comment

Working...
                              X