Deer Bones for Dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer Bones for Dogs?

Just deboned and ground a doe last night and now I have the bones from the quarters in an ice chest in the garage.

I have a yellow lab who loves beef bones. Never thought about giving her deer bones before. Are they safe?

If you give them to a dog, should you cook them first like they do with the beef bones you buy at the store? If so, how?

Thanks.

My labs love them too. I usually oven roast or pit smoke them for 5-6 hrs.

Comment

i feed my Lacy raw scraps whenever i have them available

also feed her deer bones that are frozen , never boiled

i trim the ends off with a meat saw so it's easier for her to get to the marrow

i lay down scent trails with the deer quarters and blood to aid in training

Comment

We let our dogs eat uncooked deer bones for many years and it sure never hurt them.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmiccowboy View Post
          We let our dogs eat uncooked deer bones for many years and it sure never hurt them.
          I give my lab the bones right out of the deer. I find they last longer and don't break as easy if I freeze them first. He loves 'em.

Comment

Yes, deer bones are great for dog. No, you shouldn't cook them. Though there aren't the risks involved in cooking poultry bones, you will leech nutrients and increase the risk broken teeth. Just toss them out for the dogs, you can even leave scrap meat on their, the dogs will love it.

If you want more tips on feeding deer to dogs, check out Betty's post from last year: http://workinglacys.wordpress.com/20...ding-raw-deer/. Deer season is a great time to do a little raw feeding and give your dogs a nutritional boost.

Comment

Great article, Convert!

I usually feed my dog some uncooked, raw deer bones from a deer I process. I think I may give him a some whole front quarters this year. Not much meat on the shoulder anyway, and I'd hate to let a ham go to the dog instead of my freezer!

Comment

Just ran across this article on feeding raw bones to your dog instead of cooked bones.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll save some time not cooking bones any longer!

Comment

CAUTION!!!!
                    I used to feed them to mine as well, until I spent several hundred dollars on meds, xrays, tests, etc on my younger lab! I own the mother lab and she is the one who actually carries the disease. The Vet had some name for it but I couldn't tell what it's called. What happens is the adult, female dog gets this virus/disease thru eating on other animal bones, meat, etc, that they find in the woods, or yes even from the deer bones I gave her! When the puppies pass thru the mother, they get infected. Although it is a rare deal, I with my great luck had a dog get infected. It made my pup walk around all stiff in his back 1/2 of his body, and look all loopy. He would look worn out, tired, and just plain bad. They finally figured it out after about a week worth of xrays, and blood work. After treating it with some type of pills for a week or two he was fine! Said that only the puppies will ever show the signs or symptoms. The adult dogs can carry it but never show the symptoms, just like what happened with us!

So feed em if you want, but I will never do it again!

Comment

My dogs love them and have never shown any ill affects.

Comment

Working...
                      X