Windmills (Wind Turbines) and Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windmills (Wind Turbines) and Deer

Not wanting to discuss the political or financial implications of wind turbines here.

What impact (if any) have you witnessed wind turbines having on wildlife specifically deer? Thanks!

BKPT -- scares me that we even need that acronym.

Deer can adjust to just about anything -- course they may just leave and not come back.
    Last edited by Atfulldraw; 11-27-2008, 09:38 PM.

Comment

I think the only thing that really bothers wildlife is knowing they are prey.
      If they aren't preyed upon they almost become domestic.

Comment

They just finished some right on hiway between Abilene and Albany! Last year coming through that way I saw some real nice bucks within 1/4 mile of them and slew of does! Windmills use high points,whitetails travel low lying areas...no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
          Not wanting to discuss the political or financial implications of wind turbines here.

What impact (if any) have you witnessed wind turbines having on wildlife specifically deer? Thanks!
          Not sure about deer, but during the November 5 TPWD Commission meeting there was an interesting discussion among the Commissioners about the effects of windmills on pheasant habitat. If I understood it correctly they're actually thinking about shutting down the Texas pheasant season to do a study on habitat loss (I may be totally wrong about this, but that's my recollection at this time). The Department personnel were pretty clear that the windmills are taking habitat in large chunks, and that the pheasant population is really suffering as a result.

Comment

None. I hunted a ranch West of Abilene and the deer moved around like any other deer in Texas.

Comment

Working...
            X